Friday, October 10, 2008

To my surprise

I went hiking today and found a huge treat! Trista (friend from work) and I were intending to hike Eagle Creek but had a small change in plans. Instead, we headed up the Wauna Trailhead, destination unknown. At the bridge to the trailhead, we found the best surprise~ Chinook salmon spawning. I had not seen such a congregation of salmon in our waters for many years, it was like being in Alaska again.

The fish were huge and some were still very pink and healthy looking. I wondered briefly about bears, but decided to live in ignorance for the day. No bears...

We took the dogs with us and they had such a good time. Bailey had a chance to play in the river and Kona chased salmon (he is small and had no chance of anything, didn't even come close to one). The trail we took is kind of cool in that it zig zags to the top of the cliff, like a very, very small version of Angels Rest. Perfect spot for a snack and an incredible view of the gorge.

The bridge that crosses the river leading to the Wauna trailhead is really cool~ it bounces and makes for a great walk across (it is the small things in life:) Bailey and I had to do it twice for good measure!
This is Trista and Kona







No comments: