Saturday, April 26, 2008

Breakin' it down!

I did it, I began another exciting project in the house. In typical Stacey fashion, I hustled right along and named myself "General Contractor". I have torn the kitchen apart (literally) down to its studs and am rebuilding from almost scratch. The only thing I didn't do yet was start breaking out major walls (that will come in the next phase).

Two weeks ago, Steff came over and we ripped out the cabinets~ Good riddance! Dad came down for the weekend and directed business for a few days, we got so much accomplished. A big shout out to dad right now! who knew a vision of tiles would lead to such hard work. We ripped up the old layers of flooring and installed hardibacker over the top. Thinset is a real pain to mix but surprisingly easy to spread. I haven't mentioned to dad yet that all our screws we put down are too high and I have now been given the task to countersink them all with an even more powerful drill.. oh boy!


Shamindra has almost finished his version of 'outstanding lighting in Stacey's Kitchen' and installed new outlets (up to code for a unique twist in the house) and will be finishing the canned lighting in the next day or two. Since I am moving the oven to the south wall, he is putting electrical components over there too. Adequate lighting, what is that?


After painstakingly putting up several sheets of drywall, I had to finally kick dad out the door. I made him leave at 8 pm after extending his trip by a day to help do more of the hard work here. Staring at the drywall for a few days and some choice words by my wise neighbor prompted me to seek out a professional to finish the dreadful job of drywalling and mudding. I came home from work Thursday to find some drywall mud on my couch, door handle, microwave, dog, floor, and walls. Jeesh, you would think that the guy was spraying it or something. If I had done the job, it would have been 10 times worse and taken 20 times longer.

More to come on this project in a few days.

No comments: