Sunday, October 30, 2005

Winning the Lottery! (Part II, Stacey Style)

I have changed my approach and will go by region instead of chronological order. Therefore, I am still on the backyard, the day I won the lottery.

As I mentioned previously, the backyard is BIG and LONG (did I mention that?) and has lots of room to grow (literally:) I had a big, grassy yard with nothing interesting: no texture, no color and barely any life, certainly nothing to be excited about... Until an elderly lady moved into a new place and I won the lottery! Little old lady with ankle biters demanded (yes, demanded) that everything be ripped out- all plants had to go, she wanted nothing but grass. Her bizarre request left me with the opportunity to legally steal any and all plants that I could dig up in 2 days (who does that???). Anyways, I worked like a dog and when I was done had more plant material than I ever could have imagined and it was littered around the backyard like garbage. It looked like a war zone. I lovingly but haphazardly planted every bulb, root, bush and tree (yes, even trees) and waited anxiously for spring to arrive so that I could see the results of what I had done. Did I mention that I dug it all up in the fall and had absolutely no idea what most of what I was planting looked like?

I digress long enough to mention that as of the day I brought home all of the plants, I had no flower beds in the back yard. I was desperate to remove grass, less to mow, and eager to have a place for everything. I think I could have started my own sod company with the amount of grass I took out. I made "the peanut yard" and "the back 40" and separated them with a little grass pathway in between.

Back to the end... After a long winter, I had growth! It took all summer to really see everything, and as it turned out, I had done a great job and didn’t even know it.

This is what I ended up with~ Bottom photo is in the fall, right after I planted everything. Top photo is what it looked like the next spring. Please note the really ugly overhang above the patio.

No comments: