I migrated north for some of all of that (some of it quite mysterious I might add..) and had a wonderful vacation. I spent my time doing exactly what I intended to~ relaxing, playing, adventuring, wandering, reading, catching up with old friends. Kendra's kids are the cutest things ever (see, told you!).
Anna (3) and Teagan (12 months) love to sing No More Monkey's Jumping on the Bed while jumping on my bed. There house is full of children's books, how I imagine my house someday... that are read to them each evening.
I only make it through 12 pages of Green Eggs and Ham before Anna is snoring, how does that story end??
The highlight of the trip was sea kayaking in Prince William Sound. It is gorgeous! We were nestled in a Forest Service cabin on Paulson Bay 45 minutes outside of Whittier. To get to Whittier we had to travel through a mountain (2 miles underground) on a one lane road. The road services incoming/outgoing traffic as well as the train.
It was only accessible by train until recently, if you wanted to go there by car, you had to put it on the train (the car that is). Whittier itself is a simple little town with about 5 buildings. They do however have some cute little stores that happily cater to the cruise lines that make it a destination stop (cleverly tricking travelers into thinking that Whittier is some profoundly great place, let's drop profound). It is beautiful though.
I visited with Eric and Karen and a few others folks, good to see them. All in all, it still feels like home to me and that I didn't miss a beat. A few more houses and some improvements on the roads, but other than that~ I miss the Chugach Mountain Range backdrop and the view of downtown Anchorage from Earthquake Park. If you haven't seen it, here is a sample.

No comments:
Post a Comment