Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Back to the Grind

School is open for business again! Actually, it was not that bad a day. Either the kids were generally well behaved or my patience have returned (could be both). Whichever the case, it is good to be back to work. My to-do list is really long and I am wondering when I will get it all done.. but no worries. This is my 7th year teaching and I think I was experiencing the 'blasé (bla zay)ness’… I know, that is totally not a word, but if Bush can make stuff up, then I can too! I think it is going away, unlike the cold that I got before the break...

The funny story for the day was something one of Amy’s student said. This was her email:

I (Amy), asked my students this morning who got socks for Christmas. One girl raised her hand and said, "Socks? I thought you said STOCKS. I got stocks for Christmas -- from my grandparents." When I asked her how she felt about that she said, "I'd rather have socks!"

Maybe that is only funny to me… oh well. I didn’t ask that question today, but wonder what response I would have received if I had. It might have gone something like this:

I (Stacey), asked my students this morning who got socks for Christmas. One boy raised his hand and said, “Am I in the right class?” To which an astute student yells (across the room), "Duh man, pay attention!” “What was the question again?” another student politely asks. So, I repeat the question, when yet another student loudly proclaimed that he couldn’t read a clock, so why on earth would he get one for Christmas?? I looked around in exasperation to find the quiet young man in the far seat picking his nose, hoping no one noticed. What was my question??

Yes, it is good to be back to work indeed!

1 comment:

Deb said...

:) That's all I've got to say. :)