Saturday, September 23, 2006

Thought..

I read an article today by Mitch Albom (The 5 People You Meet In Heaven) titled If you had one day with someone who's gone... There were stories about men who lost children, daughters who lost dads, wifes who lost husbands. It got me thinking about it. Who would I want to see and what would I say, what would we do.. That is such an easy question, of course my grandpa. I would want to sit in the living room and watch Perry Mason, tease him about eating tomatos and cottage cheese, listen to his stories about "them damn Japs" (sorry to offend, he was a part of WWII though- it was a part of him). I would ask him to make pancakes on Sunday morning, then I would expect us to go pick some raspberries, lick some agate, and make something cool from basically little peices of junk out of the shop. He made little boats for us to float down the irrigation channels that were all over his property. They were great, I wish I still had one today. He once made a ladder for the mice to use when they fell into the bird food bin and could't get out. I thought he was silly... now I may be more like him than I thought. We used to catch nightcrawlers by using an electric fork that he rigged up. Put on the sprinkler for a while, poke in the pitchfork, and watch the big fatties pop out of the ground- It was way too fun! Since then, I have spent a lot of time thinking about the fact that he would never meet his future grandchildren (Steff and I..) He would have made a great great-grandpa. I miss him all the time. (Steff can go blow her nose now.. sorry about that:)

2 comments:

Amy said...

Lick agate? Okay, you're gonna have to explain that one.

I think your grandpa would have all kinds of ideas for my back yard -- he would probably figure out a way to make everything grow in circles or something.

Now I want to meet him too.

Stacey said...

He would have loved your yard! To find out how beautiful the agate is, you simply lick it and hold it up to the light- voila!