Sunday, November 20, 2005

Secrets

I ran across this website today and it made me feel better despite everything going on. PostSecret is a website and apparently a published book that contains all the secrets that people keep to theselves (away from those who know and love them) but feel they can share with millions of others anonymously. Some Secrets seem hideous, some are passionate.

At dinner last night, we were talking about the phenomenon of dying and some of the sordid details that go with it. Who goes through all of your stuff? Should there be an agreement amongst friends about who gets to go through the personal items (journals, computer diaries, dresser drawers, etc.) first, before traumatized family members? Without having discussed this with my parents, I would guess that they had already come to that conclusion when then they decided to burn all of their love letters so that no one could read them... If I died tomorrow, who would take my dog, who would go through my stuff (that would be a dreadful job!) and how on earth would anyone know about all of the money I have stashed away? That is a joke, but still.. Would I wish that on my family and friends? Guess I have some things to think about, and some cleaning to do.

Ultimately though, isn't it sad that you often learn more about a person after they are dead and gone than you knew about them while they were alive?

1 comment:

Amy said...

There should be an agreement amongst friends and I'm totally serious about making a pact. In fact, we're talking about it over winter break (over Cosmos, of course!)